Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Un fantasma

Our Morocco excursion is fast approaching and I'm starting to get pretty nervous for the journey. Some friends and I went to a Chinese convenience store this past weekend to buy bags, warm clothes and protective wear so we can be prepared for the harsh desert climate. I have never really considered myself an outdoorsy girl, so spending four days in tents in the middle of the Sahara desert will be a major turn-around for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to experience the desert and Moroccan culture, but sleeping in the sand and getting it in my eyes, nose and mouth doesn't sound too exhilarating.

I'm grateful to have so many friends traveling to Morocco with me, including new friends from my program and friends from DU. Having them there with me will definitely help me to bear the elements of the desert.

Yesterday I had the honor of teaching my little niños some Halloween vocabulary. They're actually pretty excited about Halloween and invited me to their Halloween party tomorrow; of course I graciously accepted. They'll get to make the Halloween monster magnets that my Mom sent to them, being a teacher herself.

Learning Halloween vocabulary, we talked about all the common costumes and even got to act some of them out. I told them common costumes in America are ghosts, cowboys, monsters, ballerinas, witches and pirates. It was quite entertaining to watch them gallop around on invisible horses to imitate cowboys and have sword fights with markers pretending to be pirates. They definitely have a lot of energy and even more imagination.



Yesterday was also fantastic because we got to have nap time for half an hour at the end of the day. I must admit I did partake in napping with them. The professor closed all the blinds, put on some "música tranquilla" and let them all put their heads down on their desks to sleep. About half of them were asleep with their thumbs in their mouths within the first five minutes. It's so funny how one minute they can be running around the room on their imaginary brooms cackling like little witches and the next minute they're fast asleep on their desks. Oh, to be a child again. I'm thrilled that I get to go back tomorrow and celebrate Halloween with them. They asked if they could paint my face and I couldn't give them a definite answer. I'm not sure if I want a bunch of children putting paint on my face, not really knowing what they're doing. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have a change of heart when I see them all in their adorable costumes. I'll miss them all while I'm in Morocco but I look forward to working with them for the next month and a half until I come home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment