Wednesday, November 21, 2012

¿Puedo casarme España?

It's already been two weeks since our adventures in Morocco but still the majority of people who went are still suffering from the bacteria-infested food and water. My roommate just recovered last week from a terrible stomach illness and half of Menéndez Pelayo's students missed classes last week and the week before. Maybe it was the probiotics I was taking during the trip or my superior immune system, but somehow I managed to remain healthy for the whole trip, which in retrospect doesn't make sense. But I am very grateful because the people who were sick and remained sick understandably developed a pessimistic view of Morocco, while I remained healthy and happy leaving me with only positive memories of the adventure. The only reminiscent of Morocco that remains with me is the great amount of sand in my sneakers.

Lately I have become a lot closer to the professor I work with at Sagrado Corazón. Since she is fluent in both Spanish and English she is able to explain some concepts that I might not understand and can teach me new vocabulary every day. On the other hand, she sometimes asks me the correct way to say something in English. For example, the other day she asked me, "How you say, turn the lights on? And turn the lights off?" She was confused as to why we use the verb "turn" for both phrases. It was actually difficult to explain to her since native English speakers just grow up naturally knowing these phrases instead of having to learn why.
Last week after I taught the kids about the four seasons she told me that I seem great with children and that I seem to have a passion for teaching. I told her it's probably because my mom is a teacher and so I'm used to dealing with small children. I don't think she believed me. It would be hard to tell her that I don't wan't to be a teacher when I grow up; a child psychologist maybe, but not a teacher.
She requested that we go out for drinks sometime before I go home and I said absolutely! This woman has really been a huge part of my experience in Spain and she has made this internship experience a great one. I was so lucky to be paired up with such a generous and fun-loving teacher. I'm looking forward to hanging out with her outside of a classroom setting and being able to talk to her about normal topics rather than the students and the lessons.

My friends and I are leaving for Rome tomorrow night and I am oh-so-excited! I think this leg of the trip will be my favorite part of my entire study abroad experience. I was definitely raised to be aware of my Italian heritage and now getting the chance to go to the motherland for a weekend will give me a complete sense of the people and the Italian way of life. I don't know how to speak Italian but I'm planning on getting my friend Antonio (who's fluent in Italian) to teach me some basic Italian phrases before I go. I know this weekend is going to fly by so fast and I know I'm not going to want to leave Rome at all. Luckily, my family and I are returning to Italy next summer for a greater amount of time. We are planning on arriving in Rome and then traveling to the northern part of Italy for a while. I am thrilled for this vacation as well, since my Dad and I have always been proud of our Italian backgrounds.

Viva Italia :)


No comments:

Post a Comment